13 May 2012

My Amazing Mother

When you have a mother as awesome as mine, it's quite hard to know where to begin. 

There's so much I could tell you about my Mum. Let me share some of the things I remember from growing up.


Mum worked the night shift at the lab in the hospital and then stayed up all day to look after us when we were little, and she still found time to do awesome things like tie ribbons around the furniture so we could learn to tie a bow, play games with us and come up with ideas when I'd say, "Mum, I'm bored!"
At the top of Mt Maunganui with the sand blowing in our eyes

I remember the endless lessons in correct table manners.

 Christmas 1987

I remember her always having the car equipped with a fully stocked bag of snacks - including lollies, of course! - for the long trips to visit the cousins in Wellington.
I remember all the amazing birthday cakes she made.

I remember being able to call her for a ride to school if we missed the bus (even if it was just because we slept in...)


I remember the cards she wrote us when she couldn't get to see us and how much that meant.

I remember telling her and her sisters to be quiet because they were laughing too loudly and we cousins couldn't hear our movie in the other room.


I remember convincing her to buy lollies at the supermarket then sharing them together as soon as we got into the car.

I have so many great childhood memories, these are not even the tip of the iceberg!

*   *   *

I don't know anyone who has been through as much as my Mum has been through in her 50-something years. I don't say that lightly. Mum was diagnosed with a ravaging childhood cancer when she was 22, just a year or two after she and Dad were married and only a few years younger than me now. The doctors gave her a 5% chance of survival.

Yes, that's my Mum: the God-given miracle.


Throughout her life, Mum has dealt with one serious health issue after another, along with the rapid deterioration of her mobility, and yet she has remained positive and full of grace. Yes, I've heard her complain about how sick of being sick she is, but 100,000 times more often have I heard her tell me how blessed she is.


I see the joy she gets from watching her grandchildren (my three beauties) thrive and grow and play and I hope she knows that it gives me even more to see how much they love her. To hear them when they ask for her and tell me how special she is.

God, I praise you so highly for giving this mother to me! How do I even tell you how deeply she is wrapped around my heart?!

I've always struggled to articulate how I feel - Mum, I think you know this - but I hope you know how much I love you. How much I would fight for you. How much I would do for you. How much meaning you bring to my life. How much I thank God that He put me with you.

Happy Mother's Day, Mum.
You beautiful thing, you.
 

5 comments:

  1. That is such a beautiful picture of your mum at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mum sounds like such a brave and strong woman (with gorgeous eyes too).
    Thank you for your kind comment on my post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania - I think she is! Hope you are well. xxx

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful post about your Mama - especially after your adoption post. Its clear you have a very loving family :)

    Haha yes, very similar in age, but lets not forget Camilla is 1 day older - teeheehee

    I am loving this age right now (I bet I keep saying that). Its so much fun having a little 8.5 month old! :D

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, of course - that one day makes all the difference! :)

      Delete

I love to read your comments very much. xxx