06 August 2012

Styling My House: The Shelf

In my travels around the World Wide Web, I am being exposed to a lot more design - of the house-y kind. I really enjoy seeing the way other people style their homes, and I'm beginning to get a clearer picture of what I like and what sort of 'looks' appeal to me.

I don't know if I could explain what I am liking with regards to my own style, but it's things like put-together but comfy and cosy nooks, well-placed objects and trinkets, matching mis-match-y-ness, handmade details, eclectic collections and really things and places and areas that are thought out but functional and true to the needs and desires of the home and family.

Pinterest credit
Top LR
Middle, L-R: here, here and here
Bottom LR


With this in mind, I informed my husband that I would be embarking on a who-knows-how-long project to beautify our house. While our home is certainly personalised - we have many photos on the walls, things are arranged how we like them etc etc - I would like to see more of a reflection of who we are (or maybe just who I am, because I make the style decisions?) and the skills that we have in the way our home is put together.

Hence my new blog series:



I have started with one small area - because small goals are achievable, right? - of our lounge. We have a small glass shelf (set of shelves? There's three) that holds our nappies + wipes etc, the kids pyjamas, a stack of flat nappies for mopping up spills and wiping faces/noses/noses on faces plus a few assorted other things.

The top shelf, however, always seems to morph into one of those 'hotspots.' A dumping ground for the odds and ends and flotsam and jetsam of daily life. So, in an effort to avoid this by only having things on the top shelf that I really want on there, I took pointers from things I'd seen around the old WWW and 'styled' that stubborn top shelf.

I forgot to take a 'before' shot, so I'm afraid you'll just have to make do with the 'after' ones this time, sorry. Without further ado, the first beautifying project:



I adore those two photos. Especially the large one - our best family photo. The little one is of Elliot meeting his new baby sister for the first time, back in January 2010. The red tree is (thanks to birthday money) from Bed, Bath and Table - my new favourite shop! I love all the nic-naks and quilts. The white vase was a gift from and old work colleague, many moons ago, and the books were the oldest ones on our shelves!

I still get a little thrill every time I see my little tidy, arranged wee spot - and it's been that way for quite some time now! Woo hoo!


*  *  *  *  *

Next up in my series will be these shelves:


They are one of the first things you see when you enter our house, next to the kitchen (to the right of the photo) and before the lounge (glimpsed to the left of the photo). Our wireless modem sits there out of necessity, so it'll be a challenge to work around.

I'm excited!



8 comments:

  1. I love this idea, Jess! I'm slowly (very slowly) starting to decorate a bit too. I find it really difficult! I'm crafty but not very good at decorating, I'm discovering.

    Your shelf looks really nice!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tal! I think your house looks great - I often see little corners, or wall hangings etc that look really great at your place. I think you actually are good at decorating - it's fun, isn't it?! :)

      Delete
  2. Ooh, sounds great! I'm embarking on a minimalist/trademe/decluttering project in our tiny apartment, and I'm looking at my bedside shelf at the moment, and it has three mugs and three glasses and a small mason jar that had kanten in it yesterday. Not good. I'm especially interested in what you do with those necessary but unsightly features - modems, power cords, chargers - they do seem to take over! Looking forward to being inspired further!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great Jess ... can't wait till we have a new spot and I can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh exciting! I struggle with the bits of daily life that end up cluttering my beautiful spaces, but it is so satisfying when it is exactly how you like it.
    Well done! Looking forward to the next styling :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how inspiring - I'm bit by bit doing bits on ours and can totally relate to the 'hotspot' / flotsam and jetsam comment! I will be following along :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! I have a few areas like this that I should probably 'reclaim' too... hmm..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice Jess, I've too wanted to do this for a while, but starting off with decluttering first. Unlike you, i don't have many pics on the walls! Time to change that.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments very much. xxx