25 October 2012

You beauty, Singer 201

Guys, I didn't realise what a gem I had sitting in my spare room for a couple of years! Don't get me wrong, I knew it was special. I just didn't know quite HOW special...

After my trusty Elna 7000 caught on fire this week, I dragged THIS little beauty out of it's resting place.



And when I say dragged, I almost literally mean dragged: it weighs a ton! That would be because it's made of CAST IRON. Oh yes.



This gorgeous girl is my Singer 201P. She's a reclusive thing, not revealing her beauty to me until I gave her a good wiping down and performed a quick Google search as a background check. Guys, she's vintage! Actually, genuinely vintage!

The Singer 201 series of full size sewing machines were produced mainly in the USA and the UK. They were first introduced in 1935 and continued in production up until 1961. It was the Singer Manufacturing Company’s finest domestic sewing machine. Hundreds of thousands of them were produced and most of them are still sewing as finely and as strongly today as when they were first produced over 70 years ago. (www.singersewinginfo.co.uk)

My little beauty, the 201P, was assembled in Penrith, Australia, with parts from the UK factory.


Excuse the dust...

These Singers are widely regarded as still one of the best stitchers of the lot! Sure, it can only do a straight stitch, but I still think that's pretty impressive. The old saying, "They don't make 'em like they used to," certainly seems to ring true here.




I love that it's two-tone brown. I love it's wee light at the back. I love it's cool Singer Manufacturing Co badge on the front. Jeepers, it really is pretty cool!

Now, to see if I can figure out how to make it work... I think I'll go ask Mr Google.
Do any of you have an old Singer sewing machine? Any tips?

**Don't forget to check back in a few days for my Blog-iversary and 100th post giveaway!**

5 comments:

  1. hey jess, just up my ally! i've got a singer slant-o-matic 500 (aka, the rocketeer) from the early 60's, which i'm in deep machine-love with. It is fully gear driven, with no timing chain - so i fix her up whenever she needs some love. I SWEAR by vintage singer's. I've found this (http://www.tandtrepair.com/index.html) website SUPER helpful - he's got all the manuals, and tips and whatnot to help you along. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those machines are so cool Inti!! i have a late 40's (?) Singer straight sewer, made in Great Britain (with knee bar and pretty decal's). But the styling on those 60's machines is so beautiful..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, it sounds like I've joined an elite club! Vintage Singer Owners! Woo hoo!

      Delete
  3. eee! I hope you can get it working!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Jess!

    I just got your comment on my blog. I'd love to email you back privately, but my computer won't let me click on your email link. If you are willing to leave your email address in another comment, I promise not to publish it. :) I'd love to write you! ...And what a fascinating sewing machine!!!! Too cool. :) I've been reading a TON of your blog posts, and enjoying it. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments very much. xxx