12 November 2012

[DIY] Hanging Candle Lanterns

Hello friends!

I've had this little tutorial up my sleeve for a while now, just waiting for the right opportunity. Last week, two of my very bestest friends came over for the evening and I roped them in to taking the photos for me, since it's very hard to take photos of your own two hands!

With summer coming up (for those of us in the Southern Hemisphere, anyway!), I've been thinking of ways I'd like to 'dress up' our deck to be a bit festive and lovely for when all those BBQ's in the sun and warm evening chats begin!

So I, with the help of Paula and Tracy (candle-put-er-in-er extroidinaire) - present to you:



Let's get started.

You will need:
clean glass jars. (So, mine were not dirty, but clean wasn't quite the right word either.. I hope you'll overlook that little detail!)
bendable wire. ($2 Shop)
tea light candles.($2 Shop)
small needle-nose pliers (Not pictured here, pilfered from Husband's tool kit.)
small wire cutters (Not pictured here, also pilfered from same source. Jewellery pliers work well too, both as a cutter and needle-nosed pliers.)

That's it!



(My jars are old baby food jars, and are 5cm in diameter. Any sized jar would work, just adjust your wire length accordingly.)

First up: Cut 2 pieces of wire, 28cm long (or the length to want your handle to be). Hold them together and make a bend 3cm in from each end. You'll end up with a rainbow shape, with flicks.


Then, cut 1 piece of wire, 40cm long (longer if your jar neck is wider than 5cm), and make a small bend 3cm in from one end. This is the piece that will wrap around the neck of the jar.



Take a hold of your handle piece and your jar neck piece and place them together at the 3cm bends. Wrap the wire of the jar neck piece UP the handle piece.



Before the wire starts to dig into your finger (learnt from experience!), cut of the end with your wire cutters...



...Then use your needle-nose pliers (or jewellery pliers) to bend the sharp end in close.



The next part is fiddly. Holding the two ends of your handle wires in place with one hand, use the other to wrap the jar neck piece TWICE around the neck of your jar, meeting at the same side of the handle already wired on. (This is important!) Be sure that the as-yet-unwired side of the handle goes UNDER the jar neck wire.



Pull it as tight as you can, then wrap the leftover wire up around the handle piece.

Remember, it is the same side as you wired before. Trim excess and bend in the sharp end as above.



I don't have a photo of this part, but now take the 3cm bottom of the handle (you can see it sticking out in the photo above) and wrap it up and around itself.

Now wrap the other side of the handle up and around too.



Trim and bend the sharp end in close.



Lastly, drop your candle in the top - get it the right way up! - and you're done!




Light your candle, and you're ready to go.



I've made a bunch and I'm going to hang them with a wee nail onto the pergola that covers our deck.



Do the instructions make sense? Please leave me a comment if anything is unclear and I'll do my best to help you figure it out!

Keep your eyes peeled for a DIY outdoor bunting tutorial coming up.

Next step? Wait for some long, sunny evenings (dry ones, not rainy like today), crank up the BBQ and invite some people over!

PS: Don't forget to enter my giveaway - it closes tomorrow! UPDATE: Giveaway now closed.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Miriam! x I get a little thrill when I see my stash - waiting for the rain to stop to hang them up!

      Delete
  2. oh exciting! could you keep the lids so you can leave them out when its raining?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy! What a brilliant idea! Smart cookie, you are.

      Delete
  3. Awesome Jess, Ive made some of these with baby food jars too! Great Tutorial and you're photos are good. I will pin for you;)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are SO cute! I'm totally pinning them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very Very Very cute - I have a fairy light chandelier but can totally see these out the back around the tree hut

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments very much. xxx