19 November 2012

Handmade Christmas

This year I'm trying to get Christmas presents organised a little earlier than usual. ('Usual' being the week before Christmas.)

Pots of money has never been something that could describe our back pockets, particularly as we begin to contemplate sending our first child off to a private Christian school next year!



I'm looking forward to giving our kids handmade presents this year. I know what they like to play with (funny that, as I'm their mother!), and I've chosen something that I know (really hope!) they'll get lots of enjoyment out of. They are still young enough and lovely enough that even only one present is a big treat!



Anyway, they won't only be getting one present - that's what grandparents and aunties are for! Elliot has been adamant that he would like a 'croncrete mixer', rubbish truck and 'hydwaulic crane' - none of which I can make! So a phone call from me in Toyworld to a grandparent was all we needed to make that happen! I'm excited for Elliot. Rosie will be getting some more 'baby animals' (Littlest Pet Shop toys) from her Aunty Sarah.

I have decided to make a Car Caddy for Elliot (tutorial from Homemade by Jill).


And a family of hippos (her most favourite animal ever!) for Rosie, using this pattern.
игрушка бегемот мастер-класс

Did I mention that I'm pretty excited?!

The only thing is, I can't think what to do for Tristan! What do you get for a just-over-1-year-old-third-child? I don't want more stuff, really, and he's too little for any particular obsession with anything - including his brother's Hot Wheels wall track, which he LOVES! Any ideas?

Christmas in our house isn't actually about presents anyway. Not totally. We give presents to each other in memory of the greatest gift we ourselves have received: a Saviour, born to us that Christmas morn so long ago. It is important to us that what our children know about Christmas is not "presents!" but that "Baby Jesus was born in a stable."

In light of that, we intend to do a Jesse Tree this year. Rather than a chocolate a day (which would be nice!) a Jesse Tree is an advent celebration that walks your children through the story of the Bible, day by day.

I found a wonderful version of one online here, by Ann Voscamp at www.aholyexperience.com

A quote:
"Then this is what you need: you need a Jesse Tree. A tree with roots deep intothe past, that finger right out through the stories of the Old Testament, back to the very beginning, and with branches that stretch so high and wide you can see the whole grand panorama of God’s story from the very first blink of the first star over Eden to the blinding light over Bethlehem."

Ann's words are beautiful, and I think it's going to be wonderful to do this together this year. I think I'll print out two of each decoration though - Little Mister and Miss both like to be the ones who get to do the important jobs, like hanging things on trees!

I did say I'm excited, didn't I?

14 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to do a handmade Christmas, but it always creeps up on me so fast, and before I know it I have run outa time! Hope it all goes well for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I'm hoping that I have enough time now! My sewing machine is broken at the moment too, but I have an old Singer that I need to get going and I can start on that!

      Delete
  2. Love it. We did (some of) the readings from Ann Voscamp's Jesse tree last year. Found it was a little too long for the concentration spans of our girls, but otherwise really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome. I know it isn't handmade but a book?? or a special cushion which I know won't mean much now but might come to later - one with his hand prints on it perhaps??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I like the idea of something with his hand prints. For Elliot's first Christmas (6mo) we gave each set of grandparents a framed hand and foot print - they still have a proud place to sit on each mantelpiece!

      Delete
  4. ohh what about a handmade fabric book that has quiet activities - good for church! like zips, buttons, little felt things to velcro on (like apples onto a tree etc)
    We're doing a handmade christmas this year too... so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, yes, that's a good idea! I'll have to see if I can be bothered with all the little fiddly bits! Terrible, aren't I?

      Delete
    2. You could use parts of worn out clothes (zips, domes, buttons etc) i've seen it done (thanks pinterest) and it looks good

      Delete
  5. Those hippos are so cute! I might have to make one for Catriona. I saw a neat tutorial/idea making pieces of road out of felt (like a felt thomas track if that makes sense) which I'm going to make for the kids and nephews this year. We're doing a Jesse tree this year too, probably based on Ann Voskamp's one but I'm contemplating getting Truth in the Tinsel's ebook as they have little kid craft for each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I saw that tutorial too - on good old Pinterest. Great idea to give them as presents. You'll have to tell me how Truth in the Tinsel's ebook is. I saw it just the other day.

      Delete
  6. I made a car caddy like that two years ago for Jai. It's AWESOME! He brings it everywhere. Just wish I'd made the pockets a smidge bigger. Elliot will love it!!

    Those hippos are adorable!!

    It being summer and all what about a tire rocker thing for tristan...something like this http://barefootnparadise.blogspot.ca/2011/11/tire-rocker-and-see-saw-update.html. I'm dying to make one for Keely maybe in our summer...

    Good on you for getting organized now!! Happy making!!

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love those car caddys but at 7 I think I've missed the mark ;'(

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments very much. xxx