04 March 2013

Give Me More! (Please.)

Grace. I have needed a lot of it lately.



My little snotsangels have been fighting tooth and nail and our house is full of shouting (sadly from the adults as well as the children) and discipline. I'm tired of reminding about rules. I'm tired of sending someone to their room to calm down. I'm tired of all. the. crying. Most of all, I'm tired of feeling angry all the time.

So I've been praying. I know this is just a (hopefully short) phase. I know that with diligent, consistent parenting and a LOT of praying, we will move through this and the grass will be greener on the other side.

The kids are all in bed, resting in preparation for a few hours playing at a friend from church's house. I am going to pull out a few books: the Anger chapter of Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges, and The Heart of Anger, by Lou Priolo. Deal with myself first, then the children.

I know I've mentioned it before, but I am immensely thankful that I do not walk alone. That my great God walks beside and before me. Because I'll fail every time I try this in my own strength.

I'm thankful that
"The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love.
He will not always accuse, nor will he harbour his anger forever;
he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities.
For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him;
as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us."

Psalm 103:8-12

And I'm thankful that "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:13


What do you do when life is trying out your patience and peace? What helps you?

4 comments:

  1. I hear you!! It happens at our house- more often than I'd like it too. Time out is great not just for the boys but for me also. Time to step back from the situation take a breath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your honesty is refreshing, Jess! And dealing with our own sin before we deal with others, especially our children, is key to fixing the problem.

    Hey, have you read Loving the Little Years by Rachel Jankovic? I highly recommend it -- it is like a breath of fresh air and always convicts you to deal with your own sin first, but in such a beautiful way that you are encouraged by the end of it, not racked with guilt like so many parenting books can leave you feeling. Rachel has also recently published a follow-up book called Fit to Burst, which I'm reading at the moment. Full of more really, really good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have read Loving the Little Years - I love it and have lent my copy out to lots of my friends! Happy to hear she's written another one - I'll order it now.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jess! Thanks for commenting. I am super excited that I will meet you in Chch soon! I was fossiking around your blog and saw the button, woop! Love the blog BTW x

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments very much. xxx