07 July 2013

A Priceless Surprise

I don't even know how to tell you about this amazing thing that just happened.

We've just spent a lovely weekend up in Pukekohe with some of our beloved family. Lovely to relax, eat yummy food, watch cousins playing together (even if it was punctuated by screams of fear from Rosie about the cats and [small, friendly] dog), chatting about life and birth and marriage and chemistry boring crap stuff. (That was the menfolk.)


Cousins + iPad = pile-up

The kids enjoyed their time so much (as they always do, with any part of the family) that there were meltdowns on the way to the car, and the drive home was punctuated with grumpy, tearful, "I want to go and stay at Uncle Kelly and Auntie Sarah's FOREVER," and, "I don't WANT to go home!"

And here begins the amazing:

Drive down the driveway and I say to Hayden, "Tristan's window's open. I thought it was shut when we left?" Park the car and I say to Hayden, "Did you put those two rubbish bags outside?" He looks at me and says, "No. Oooooooooooh." And the cogs start turning. Our friends knew we were away. They knew where we'd left a spare key for tradesmen. Had they been while we were gone, the cheeky things?

We walk inside and see vacuumed floors and a clean kitchen bench. Dishes done and put away, stove top cleaned, microwave (disgustingly filthy, check!) spotless, floors shiny. We see clean washing folded in the washing baskets.

I'm standing in the lounge, answering children's questions, when Hayden comes down from the hallway and grabs my hand. Leads me to Tristan's room and opens the door. Where I promptly burst into tears. Like I'm on a surprise home makeover TV show.

Because I am. Just about. Our beautiful friends have come in this weekend and finished Tristan's room. Stripped wallpaper, sanded walls, filled holes, primed and painted. In exactly the colours I had planned. All finished and set up like a bedroom again.

I sobbed. And the kids looked at me strangely.



I can't even tell you how humbled I am. How blessed we are. I'm NOT talking about by having this room finished - although that IS a massive blessing - but by the friends God has given to me. To us. To know that these friends, who have busy lives and young families and other stresses, set apart their weekend and gave their time and talents as a gift to us. But it's so much more than that. The love they show us by being WILLING. By the fact that I know they are glad to help me. I am struggling to put these feelings into words. To see that my friends care so much for me that they would organise and do this just shouts out how much I am loved. How priceless is that?!

They even cleaned the toilet!

I'm having a real mental blank right now. I have wanted to blog for a long time about the amazing friends I have. My words tonight haven't done them justice. I am still a bit shell-shocked, I think.

God, I praise You for these people You have made. How You have shaped and moulded them with beautiful hearts and generous spirits. I humbly thank You for surrounding me with them. Everywhere I turn can Your blessings be seen.

If Tristan wasn't sleeping in there right now, I'd be sitting in the chair and contemplating. Probably with leaking eyes. And finally starting to relax about this Baby's arrival in a month. Wow. So wow.

8 comments:

  1. AWWW ... that is awesome.. I love your friends for loving you. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That really is awesome!! You must also be great friends to them too, for them to want to do that for you! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful for you. (: Made me smile big time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful! How blessed you all are to have each other - such an Amazing Gesture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was lovely to read, well done to your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOWW!! that is so amazing, and wonderful.
    x

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments very much. xxx