05 September 2013

Life Lately

I wanted to record a little snapshot of our lives right now:



Gryffen is two weeks old. On Tuesday, he had gained 270g in 5 days - so even though we're having a little trouble feeding on the left side, he's obviously not missing out! He's a really lovely peaceful boy; I'm just loving getting to know him. He's started to do some great long stretches of sleep at night now - the other night he slept for 5 hours!



We have had the dreaded tummy bug strike us. Ugh, it's been pretty difficult! Tristan first had it when Gryffen was about 6 days old - and he was absolutely miserable and inconsolable. It took him a good 5 or 6 days to come really right, and then Elliot came down with it on Sunday night. Thankfully, Elliot's been much easier to nurse than Tristan was! He's stayed home from school Monday and Tuesday, went to school yesterday and came home looking like a poor wilted plant, then promptly spewed up his afternoon tea into his dinner bowl. So he's home again today.


I love this photo. (It was taken before Elliot had the bug!)

When I don't have children with a tummy bug, we have been spending our days with absolutely no pressure to go anywhere, just enjoying hanging out together. We've been incredibly blessed with a great support network - since Gryffen's birth I haven't had to do a single school run or cook a meal, and I've only been out to places I chose to go to - church, Mum's place, and my great aunt's funeral. Elliot goes to school, Rosie and Tristan potter about playing happily and Gryffen and I find our groove feeding and cuddling, sometimes napping.

Gryffen with his Opa (Hayden's Dad).

Our evenings together after the big kids are in bed are lovely. I set myself up on the couch with everything I need for a few hours of feeding: a cheery fire, pillows, drink and a snack, burp cloth, nappies and wipes and a swaddle wrap. Later I hand him over to Hayden, who is The Master at getting Gryffen sound asleep. It's incredible! I can't get him to fall asleep so quickly or deeply. I tidy up the lounge, set myself up for our night feeds - same as before but with the lights set really dim - then have a lovely long hot shower and slide into our most comfortable bed. I didn't realise just how uncomfortable I was at the end of pregnancy (thankful for a mostly positive attitude!) because my goodness! Our bed seems to have upped it's comfort levels since I last checked! Amazing. I think I fall asleep in about 2 seconds flat.

Once this tummy bug is gone (I'm predicting a proper return to school tomorrow - Elliot seems just about a box of birds today!) and we get back to our new normal --> 4 children! <-- 1000="" again="" amazing.="" be="" beautiful="" been="" br="" doing="" family="" gifts="" given="" glad="" has="" have="" he="" husband="" i="" in="" included="" life="" my="" pretty="" re="" really="" so="" some="" sweet="" think.="" this="" together.="" we="" will="">

Oh, and renovations are back on track - the plasterer's been in this week and we'll hopefully get the laundry painted on the weekend - I need my washing machine back in action!!

3 comments:

  1. my goodness jess, you're a trooper!!
    I do love that first month when you're so organised for the lack or sleep and the long feeds! I really looked after myself, loved the long hot showers!! Some how I slipped out of that routine and now my shower comes last (or not at all) boo! Must get back to that!

    Anyway. You're amazing. I am so inspired by you. Take care and enjoy a bit more breathing space tomorrow!! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jess, I'm not sure if I've already commented something similar the other day (I have a serious case of baby/new mother brain/forgetfulness!)...I'm a newcomer to your blog and particularly drawn because we just had a little boy a month ago on the 4th of August, so your life (three children for us) sounds very similar to ours right now...right down to the suddenly super comfortable bed! Your little man is gorgeous and sounds like he's settling in superbly! Hope he keeps up those great night sleeps :) And I hope the sickness is gone soon x remaliah

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is gorgeous Jess! What a precious little man. I love the name too. Glad to hear your renovations are back on track x

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments very much. xxx